In culture after culture, people believe that the soul lives on after death, that rituals can change the physical world and divine the truth, and that illness and misfortune are caused and alleviated by spirits, ghosts, saints ... and gods.

STEVEN PINKER, How the Mind Works


Thursday, January 8, 2009

Diver “Pino Termini” claims to see Steve Irwin’s ghost



After a small break for the Christmas holidays Prairie Specters is back with a story about Steve Irwin, a personal hero of mine.


Pino Termini of Naples in the south of Italy has spent more hours underwater than most. Having dived for the Italian Navy for seven years he now spends much of his time travelling the globe in search of the ultimate diving experience. None of this prepared him for what he claims to have seen during his last expedition. Last month he arrived at Port Douglas in tropical North Queensland for his eighth time, The Great Barrier Reef being one of his favorite playgrounds. He had heard that Batt Reef was worth a plunge into the deep blue. He chartered a boat from Port Douglas and made his way out to the area he planned to explore.

‘As I started my dive I saw somebody and was surprised because I saw no other boats around, then I noticed that the person had no oxygen tank or mask, the person swam towards me and I realised that it was none other than the crocodile hunter himself: Steve Irwin. I freaked out, but he looked calm and at peace’

‘I have seen a lot underwater but never a ghost. It was as if he was looking after the spot where he met his end, I felt that I should not impose myself on his turf as it was his and it seemed as if he was caring for the living creatures there.’ Termini said of his traumatic diving experience. We are not sure whether to believe Termini’s story but he swears by it. We contacted a number of diving shops in the town and they had heard nothing about anyone spotting Irwin’s ghost. Steve Irwin died in September 2006 at Batt Reef near Port Douglas, while diving.



He was fatally pierced by a stingray. A number of charities to protect wildlife have been set up in his memory. (above taken from "Ghost Theory". )

No comments: